It seems to me that the approach used by demand-dial PPP would be the better fit here:

1) Create a network interface that is the default route. The presence of this interface does NOT imply the connection is actually up. 2) Upon a packet being routed to the interface, THEN search for the connection and bring it up.

This has a LOT of advantages:

1) Server applications can listen on 0.0.0.0 and not be bringing the interface up. 2) No hackery with the libraries - a standard application can cause the interface to come up. 3) The system can move between networks more cleanly - only applications which bind to the actual interface address will be messed up, applications binding to 0.0.0.0 will work.

Ideally, what I think would be best would be if the upstream Linux kernel driver for WiFi would allow this sort of behavior (as this is a problem for ANY Linux + WiFi system), and the kernel would send out DBUS messages to indicate that a connection is needed - then a user space agent could do the work of locating the connection and setting it up.