On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 12:47:47 +0200, mika.k.leppinen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are currently thinking what kind of tools and utilities would be the
> most useful
> for ARM based Maemo developers. Idea is that we would host some basic
> tools and
> utilities from common repository and hopefully when new platform version
> comes
> these tools work ASAP and fun can start immediately. So please tell what
> kind
> of tools you are using or wishing and why ?
>
> Regards,
> Mika Leppinen

Many thanks for asking,

I will like to request, following (some in progress) for N800 in stable
versions:

1. Newer Pan news-reader port, Pan 0.12x
http://pan.rebelbase.com/
(one available is a currently (older) non-maintained port of Pan

2. Elinks, text web browser
- text based browsers are best friends at times.

3. Epiphany, Firefox & GNOME based web browser since minimo seems out of
maintenance for now.
- basic reason is for the choice of an alternative browser

4. tin - text news-reader
- Pan port might take some time,

5. Phone addressbook/sms/dial sync tool, maybe - gnokii
- none available as of now.

6. GAIM instant messenger
- there are more chat protocols to support

7. Snapshot/Video application
- none available as of now.

8. Multisync/Opensync support
- maybe a Nokia suit for Windows based on Opensync framework would be a
nice effort for future cross platform compatibility and help to Opensync
cross platform development. Nokia & their users should benefit all the way
and while that Linux desktop users have hopes for making sure their Nokia
770/n800 devices can sync.

9. Plucker support
- FBreader is there but perhaps Plucker for Palm is the best, if its
possible to re-write plucker for Linux/n800 that will be the best, else FB
reader has lot to improve yet.
- Oddly enough sunrisexp works better for plucking documents from web,
then plucker-desktop (just to mention)
- Perhaps still adding a functionality to quickly pluck document for later
off-line reading is a nice feature app to suggest, that should add value
to these devices and saves users on airtime + battery consumption

10. B/W mode for ebook mode if at-all possible with the hardware.
- good for reading long web-pages & plucker/e-books, saves battery & eye
sight of user.

11. Integrated device data encryption options & self destruction of
data upon brute-force attempts, like on Palms

12. Revelation or gnome-keyring encrypted password data management

I hope you'll find these useful.

Regards,
Kevin