On Friday 09 February 2007 07:43, william maddler wrote:
> Laurent MARTIN wrote:
> >> I really have no idea... and looks like it doesn't look at .profile
> >
> > I've noticed this too on my N800 (see earlier posts on users list): for
> > what I've understood, this is due to the fact that you run ash not bash
> > nor sh. What it strange is that .profile is run when connecting on the
> > N800 through SSH.
>
> Right, maybe something "wrong" in how x-term invokes shell?

Xterm does not, by default execute you profile ever, it is not a login shell.
On normal xterm you need to run with the option of +ls to make the xterm a
login shell. I imagine this is your problem. You could always
change /etc/passwd to point your home directory to /mnt/mmc. Or better yet
just mount the mmc card onto /home/user! This gives you the benefit that if
the card is not found (ie removed) your settings will be lost but at least
you can still run apps because /home/user is the original version.