Andrew Flegg schrieb:
> It doesn't matter what the technical cause is, the repository
> situation is a mess. Debian and Ubuntu don't have this problem by
> better centralising, delegating and testing their packages through a
> single build system.
>
> I worry that the Extras Repo is both too hard to upload to *and* too
> unregulated. For example, instead of porting a library like libsoup
> once, it's ported by Canola, it's ported for GPE etc. The end-user
> then suffers the problems caused by this lack of co-ordination.

There are three different developers who independently ported ScummVM to
Maemo by now. Also, I fear that soon there will be apps that run on
previous IT OS distributions but never make it to the current release.

It's also confusing that many 3rd party applications never actually find
their way in the central repository, be they official or non-supported.

(My Ubuntu desktop box also uses some non-official sources, but its
sources-list is still far shorter than the one on my N800.)

Maemo needs a release manager.

The release manager should coordinate that interesting apps find
packagers who take care of making them available for all current flavors
of the IT OS distributions.

Regards,

Hanno