Marius,

re: your comment

    Nokia currently stands in the middle between open and closed.  I imagine
    it is frustrating to both sides.

Is the reason that Nokia has some portions of the software as closed source, because the suppliers of those components,or the underlying hardware components, are requiring Nokia to keep such software closed soruce?

Or, on the other hand, is Nokia trying to protect its own software IP by having some of the software closed source?

I would be surprised if it were the latter because I would think that Nokia's real source of value is in the Internet Tablet hardware and not the software. On the other had if, by opening the source code for its currently closed source software components, Nokia would make itself more vulnerable to clone manufacturers (thus turning the Internet Tablet into a commodity good) then I could see good reason, from Nokia's perspective, for it to keep certain key components of software from getting out into the opensource community.

As I understand it there are several ways to make profits from providing solutions to customers that relate to opensource software in one way or another:

   1. Write and Sell Books about opensource products

   2. Conduct and sell training and provide  knowhow (consulting) on
   opensource software

   3. Provide Distribution management services (e.g. Novell, Redhat,
   RPath, etc.)

   4. Provide services that utilize opensource software (e.g.
   Amazon.com and many Software as a Service www services)

   5. Make and sell Hardware that runs opensource software  (e.g.
   network appliances of all sorts, servers, embedded systems, etc.)

   6. Make and sell closed source software products that "gateway" to
   opensource solutions via standard protocols.

   7. Make and sell closed source software that runs on top of opensource.

Nokia, with respect to the Internet Tablet seems, to be doing #5 with a little of #7 thrown in. I just don't understand how much net value they are deriving from #7 given the "cost" of disturbing the maemo community with their keeping a part of the software as closed source (assuming that this decision is totally under their control, which it may not be).

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Acadia Secure Networks