There seem to be a DBUS request/reply used by
the battery applet to request current level, see here:

http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-developers/2007-March/009300.html

Plus messages sent when the level changes.

However my question:

"I couldn't find documentation on the maemo site for these bme/mce
messages, is the protocol I described considered stable (eg: supported
for new releases)? Did I miss obvious messages or got wrong semantics?"

Went unanswered, may be I should open a bugzilla for more visibility?

Laurent