2007/5/1, Siarhei Siamashka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
On Tuesday 01 May 2007 17:49, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> > OK, here is this untested a patch for xserver to add ARMv6 optimized
> > YUV420 color format conversion. Theoretically it should compile
> > (I did not try to build xserver myself though) and work. If it refuses to
> > compile, fixing the patch should be not too difficult.
>
> Applied and build without problems for me.

Thanks a lot for building the package and putting it for download, everything
seems to be fine, but more details will follow below.

> For testing, I fabricated some video with gstreamer:
>
> which resulted in [EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED] videos. For some
> reason 320x240 and 352x288 refused to play with:
>
> X11 error: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
> MPlayer interrupted by signal 6 in module: flip_page while gstreamer did
> play them just fine. Also the Nokia_N800.avi and  NokiaN93.avi died in the
> same way.

This X11 error on video playback start and also sometimes on switching
fullscreen/windowed mode is a known problem [1] reported in this mailing list.

If MPlayer dies on start, usually trying to start it again succeeds. So these
320x240 and 352x288 videos could be played as well if you were a bit more
persistent :)

No, it's actually 100% reproducable in this situation (yes, I tried a
number of . You see, I didn't have the window manager running. It
breaks with the N800 video too.
Running with the window manager does make it runnable, but it also
changes the window size which I wanted to avoid.

> My mplayer is compiled from the svn
> trunk of the garage project, with some additional cflags I use (so
> maybe those were the problem...).

Do you have a set of cflags settings which work better than the default set?
Can you share this information?

If by "default set" you mean what the default options in the toolchain
is, then yes (as there are none AFAIK ;). If you mean the default
options for mplayer, I don't know if they add any value. I like to use
my hardware well ;) so I tend to compile everything with VFP enabled
and optimized for the processor:

CFLAGS='-mcpu=arm1136j-s -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=softfp -O2'

Now, wheter it works better than thumb code is debatable, as
optimizing code size might be more beneficial than having fast floats.
But at least I was happy with the results we got from our testing,
detailed in

 http://syslog.movial.fi/archives/46-N800-VFP-or-not-to-VFP.html

I doubt they will do much good for mplayer, as I assume most critical
operations will be highly optimized already by hand and not left
entirely for the compiler...

If you want a guaranteed video playback with divx/xvid/mpeg4 codecs, you
should restrict to 512x384 resolution or lower and keep bitrate reasonable.

The results for these 'insane' videos you have posted are somewhat weird, a
complete statistics would  require also a number of frames dropped, otherwise
we don't know how much work was done by the player. Probably missing audio
track resulted in MPlayer not being able to provide a proper report.

Yeah, I guess the fabricated videos weren't that good. Have to do some
more testing with real videos...

Yes, now N800 is faster than Nokia 770 for video output performance at last :)

This is _very_ cool indeed :)

--
Kalle Vahlman, [EMAIL PROTECTED]