On tor, 2007-05-03 at 11:12 +0200, ext Murray Cumming wrote:
> If I understand the alarm API
> http://www.maemo.org/platform/docs/howtos/howto_alarm_interface_bora.html
> properly, it can be used to specify a D-Bus method to be called at
> regular intervals. I guess the application/service will be started if
> necessary.

That's the idea, at least.

> But how can I remove an existing alarm (to replace it with a new alarm
> with a different interval) if that alarm was set by a previous instance
> of my application. Should I save the cookie_t ID in gconf in order to
> use it later?

You can either save the cookie_t ID (this is the preferred solution,
since it's guaranteed to be correct), or request a list of all alarms
happening in a specific time interval (using alarm_event_query), then
iterate the list of cookies (retrieving each alarm_event_t with
alarm_event_get) and see if the exec_name or dbus_name matches your
application (as mentioned, this is not 100% fail-safe; think of
cron-like execution schedulers for instance).

> Or, do the alarms only work while my application is already running, and
> stop working when my applications stops?

No, alarms keep working even when you quit your application.

Regards: David