Hi,

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 22:22:01 -0400, Acadia Secure Networks wrote:
> I think that making SAMBA a core (i.e. supported by Nokia) part of the
> N800 os would greatly facility development, testing, and experimentation
> with the N800, at least for those, like me, who work mostly using
> Microsoft Windows desktop systems.
>
> The ability  to share out the N800 file system to a Windows computer and
> thereby have the ability to  inspect/modify files using, e.g. notepad,
> would make me more productive.

You wouldn't see half of the file flags ("executable" comes to mind) (at least
not like a normal human would expect to see them - as a check box with the text
"Executable").
The files you edit wouldn't work (mswindows uses different line endings).

Now of course you can use special windows apps (special editor, special file
manager), but then it's not easy anymore.

And my idea of an internet tablet somehow doesn't include it being a file
server ;-) Of course, you might see that differently.

>I know I can install SAMBA on my own but
> it seems to me that this is, what I would call, a "bread and butter"
> capability of a Linux OS that needs to co-exist in the real world of
> SMB/CIFS as it is today and, which, will not go away anytime soon.

Having SMB/CIFS _client_ functionality probably would be useful.

(Time to check whether the source of the file manager is available yet :-) - on
second thought, I have ssh access to all my machines, what's the point)
(Hmm, how about adding SFTP - or just a nice FUSE mount gui - to the file
manager? I wonder if I can)

cheers,
  Danny