On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 22:31 +0300, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> 2007/5/20, Laurent GUERBY <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > Today I installed canola. Removed it after 10 minutes.
> >
> > Why are developpers of media application using the "scan+database" based
> > approach instead of just letting user browse folders to open
> > the media they want?
>
> Because people are lazy and want the machine do the organizing for
> them. That's why we have metadata in the files, so that the user can
> safely keep the files in gigantic blobs and still find the correct one
> when they want to, without scanning the thousands of crappily named
> files over.

Note that I don't say the indexing isn't useful "If you want indexing
for the user just add a "add media directory to index" option and let
user open "index" files."

I'm saying proposing *only* indexing (and total from / indexing...)
is completely wrong.

Indexing *is* of course useful (especially when meta data is present), I
fully agree with you on that. But so is being to use the software on a
mobility device without waiting two hours :).

Laurent