Hello,

for a long time I did not post to the list. But some minutes ago I read,
that the armel port people try to get an official debian distribution.

Some months ago I posted a way to install debian etch (arm and armel) on
the N800 using vncviewer as a graphical frontend.

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail//maemo-developers/2007-February/008480.html

With an official armel port this becomes much more interesting, as the
perfomance (mainly of floating point operation) becomes much better than
the arm port and nearly all applications become supported. Even the arm
port had quite good perfomance for most applications. E.g. I missed my
computer algebra system (maxima) during holiday, and it was easily
installed on debian etch, no port to maemo needed.

If anybody is interested in helping to set up a nice way to install
debian armel on N800, please send me a mail. I did a debootstrap install
of debian / etch / arm port some weeks ago, without major problems.

Detlef