I think the section on Development Environment should cover the following,
in addition to the things that are listed:
- Suggestions of IDEs to use (I use Geany, but maybe there are better ones)
- Tools that are available for creating GUIs (I don't know any, so I've had
to work out the positioning of widgets by a combination of hand calculation
and trial-and-error).
- Limitations of the emulator that runs under Scratchbox (e.g. it doesn't
seem to include a Browser or a File Manager, so any applications that
interact with those can't be fully tested except on the device itself)
- The section on "Packaging, deploying and distributing" needs to be as
self-contained as possible, with a proper description of how it all works
and what is necessary. Examples are fine, but an up-front description of the
principles will avoid the kind of runaround I'm having with trying to
understand things like Automake which really aren't anything to do with
Debian packages.

Also, even though you say this is aimed at people with GNU/Linux experience,
the section on Porting Software might benefit from some hints for people
wanting to port Windows Mobile applications.

Finally, I hope the sections on the architecture, system services and other
system software will include information on the APIs and the C header files
needed. I spent a lot of time simply working out what calls I needed and
where they were declared.

David Hazel

20070925.pdf