Hi,

Many Maemo applications are actually multi-threaded, since async
operations within GnomeVFS use threads internally.

Anyway, using GStreamer in control panel applet sounds dangerous. This
is because gstreamer cannot be unloaded cleanly (when execute-function
returns, your module is unloaded and gstreamer is unloaded as well).
Basically only very simple libraries (such that don't modify the main
process' memory) can be unloaded.

Perhaps you can implement your applet as a separate process and the
execute function of the applet just launches the child and waits it to
finish?

-Markku-