I'm trying to run hildon-desktop on Xtightvnc, which didn't work.
Maybe something to do with the composite extension/support? Bora
(still) works with this setup.

Anyway, so I ran a regular vncserver on the box and opened a Xephyr
session inside. Connecting to the vnc from my laptop, I saw that only
the green channel is rendered (empty X desktop). Ran hildon-desktop
(with af-sb-init of course) it too had only the green channel.

Tried with different color depths on both servers, couldn't fix it.
Any ideas? Any other recommendations on how to run the desktop
remotely? The Xtightvnc setup was so useful wish it could work.

The error I get with Xtightvnc (my Bora setup) is:

The program 'hildon-desktop' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 338 error_code 2 request_code 53 minor_code 0)

The cmdline I use for Xtightvnc is:
Xtightvnc :2 -ac -dpi 96 -depth 16 -geometry 800x480 -x Composite
(-x Composite doesn't seem to help at all, I get the same result with
it included or not)

--
Kemal