ext Claes H wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2007 3:05 PM, vicente garcia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Android will probably gain a greater momentum than Maemo have had so
> far, since Google will push for it in a way that more people (and
> developers) will notice. It seems very easy to develop for and include
> nice APIs to interact for example with Google maps and positioning.
> Personally I think it seems easier to get started with since it has
> Eclipse support and I am more comfortable with Java.

Android has many good things on it but also what is better
and most successful is not so clear.

Technically Android is running same SW platform than maemo,
so it won't be difficult to run android and maemo applications
in maemo devices. If i quess, it wont take long until someone
in oss community ports android to N8xx platform.

The sharing display with X11 and Clutter with OpenGL-ES works,
i don't see reason why it would not work with X11 and OpenGL-ES/Android
and even Clutter all together.

The java, C or C++ is lot of personal preference. I just prefer
C or C++, many mobile programmers that have Symbian background prefer C++
and of course there is lot of Java programmers also. I rather like see
diversity
and support multiple choices and Java is not exluded from this set.

With the Chinook support Forum Nokia was adding support to C++ bindings
and we have Eclipse with both maemo/hildon C and C++ support.
You can check http://maemo4mobile.garage.maemo.org/esbox.html

With Eclipse it is about as easy to make Android or Maemo C++ application
and they even can co-exist in same eclipse instance.

One big advantage in maemo is that it is based already de-fracto GTK API's
and these API's has thoudsands of applications and a huge amount of
coders already familiar with them. Android is starting from empty table.
They have luxury to refactor all API's but lack of developpers already
familiar.

> On the other hand, if Google follows through and makes Android fully
> open source, including the specialized JVM it includes, it is not
> impossible to imagine an Android runtime on Maemo devices. That would
> mean that Maemo devices would get the opportunity to run both Maemo
> and Android types of apps.  I am sure Google would be glad to see it
> happen. Whether it actually will happen probably depends on whether
> Nokia wants it. At this point in time, seems not so likely.

I am not person saying what Nokia does or not but just
http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/11/06/nokia-says-google-alliance-participation-not-ruled-out-at-all/

Personally i rather like to see Android port to N8xx as soon as possible.

Kate