On Nov 28, 2007 9:22 PM, Michael Wiktowy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is becomeroot available somewhere for OS2008? I found that to be a
> nice neat way of doing the config hackery needed to enable root
> without R&D mode.

Nevermind. I found it and since OS2008 uses the same gainroot
mechanism and the deb doesn't contain any binaries, just a simple sed
command that short circuits the /usr/bin/gainroot script to not look
for the R&D mode flag, it works like a charm.
Installing the following and typing 'sudo gainroot' in a terminal
worked for me to gain root access. Then I set a passwd for user and
ssh'ed in using that account just fine and I can escalate privilege as
needed.

It may work for you too but I make no guarantees.

http://eko.one.pl/maemo/dists/mistral/user/binary-armel/becomeroot_0.1-2_armel.deb

/Mike