On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 08:14 +0000, Tommi Komulainen wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 17:21 +0100, ext Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> > My questions ...
> >
> > Therefore I wonder about what the plan is for Maemo's glib version. How
> > soon will Maemo upgrade? What can we do to help speeding up GIO's
> > inclusion into Maemo? Would a standalone version be acceptable?
>
> In general we prefer stable releases (personally I'd say starting
> from .6 or so) but we also backport specific things. At the moment there
> is no strong demand for GIO so it's not too high up in priority list.
> We'll get GIO latest when we upgrade to 2.16.

Strong demand will happen as soon as people start picking it up, of
course. People will be picking it in during the following weeks, during
the Berlin Hackfest and after the hackfest.

I'm confident the conference at FOSDEM will make people even more aware
of the benefits of standardising on for example async APIs, stream APIs
and etcetera.

I promised one of the developers in #nautilus to give him my 770 if he
maintains and ports gio and gvfs. He sounded very enthusiastic about
this. I also made a quick port of just GIO myself which you can find
here: http://pvanhoof.be/files/gio-ugly-maemo-port.tar.gz

> Then again GIO is just an add-on so it could be easily introduced
> without breaking anything, but all work requires resources we could
> currently use more elsewhere.

That's right. So far only "goffset" is a newly used type that Maemo's
glib doesn't have a typedef for.

> I mean you'd need to do things like coming up with a migration path from
> no-GIO -> glib-without-official-GIO -> glib-with-GIO, figure out when to
> introduce what (taking into account release plans we're not at liberty
> to discuss - duh!), how/who would deal with bugfixes and periodical
> catchup with upstream, etc.

Ok. So I promised my 770 to somebody if he gets GIO and GVFS packaged in
maemo-extras. He promised me he'll maintain it after that too. His name:
A. Walton. I don't yet know whether he'll succeed/proceed of course.

If not, I might do it.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
http://pvanhoof.be/blog