Hi,

ext sebastian maemo wrote:
> I wish that 770 used a standard debian (armel) distribution so that I could
> rely on debian servers to install, update and maintain my favourite
> packages...

Armel is coming to Debian Lenny, it wasn't there when (last SW
release of) 770 was released.  Lenny binary packages are compiled with
newer GCC & Glibc so their dependencies cannot be satisfied on 770
which software is (now) older. In source compilation the issue is
that Lenny requires newer build tools than the Debian Etch tools
used in our SDK.  (This is actually true for N8x0 too)

Another reason why N800 etc software doesn't work on 770 is
hardware constraints.  Less RAM, Flash and older OMAP version.
I.e. "unfortunately" both HW and SW move forward...

        - Eero