Juuso wrote:
> I just observed that the reboot of N810 or N800 is not "a
> perfect reboot" if you have charger plugged in during the
> switch off - switch on - sequence.
>
> At least manually loaded (insmod) kernel modules remain
> loaded and the ssh connections to the device does not result
> in "connection lost" if the charger is plugged in. The reboot
> time seems to be shorter as well..
>
> This behavior was a bit confusing at first... :|

It's a design feature. It's actually quite useful.

If you're ssh'd in, use [/sbin/]reboot instead, that will kill your
device completely.

The fact is that the charger screen is actually managed by X, so if you
"turn off your device", the system essentially switches to the special
"run level" (ignore the detail in case it isn't a true run level) where
X is running w/ the charging screen, and when you "turn on your device",
the system essentially switches to the normal "run level" (*).

As a user, this is usually fine.

As a power user (anyone using an ssh session can not claim they are not
a power user), this isn't a problem, and again is useful (the one time I
recently executed reboot instead of using the power switch, I was
annoyed because I lost my ssh session!). And as mentioned above, as a
power user, if you want the other behavior, you can execute a true
reboot from your session.