Hi

video4linux is the only way to access the kernel video device.
gstreamer certainly helps in making the video/audio code portable.
In the webcam examples on the maemo website a video4linux2 "source" is
used and the gstreamer framework
displays the data.

There are also many existing programs that use v4l directly (ffserver,mplayer?)
see:
http://maemo.org/development/documentation/how-tos/3-x/howto_camera_api_bora.html
the paragraph Camera manipulation in the Python language so see how
easy it can be done

greetings