On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 7:44 AM, Quim Gil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Not really. What I personally miss is a specific plan by the community
> to achieve that. Is that plan the Mamona project lead by INdT
> developers? Is it opening or finding open alternatives to some of the
> closed components in the current maemo official components? Something else?

I do like the OE approach. I was very happy and proud to present  mamona as
cool platform hack at LinuxTag . I explained there why I think the
current sbox1 based approach (having an sdk created for "users")  results
in the many problems and frustration we currently have.

The community itself is not organized in "what can we do to achieve xyz".
they and I expect zyx to be maemo.org. They might even think : if
maemo.org behaves like xyz
THEY would be doing the right thing. it is not exactly easy to
currently do anything for maemo.org
(rember the bus where you are not the driver?). Are we missing a
strong community leader?

If I think of mamona in the "maemo.org what next"
context I think that the main arguments to view/sell mamona would have
to be that the
packaging meta-data and the sources are separated. This encourages
more experimenting and also allows "Nokia"  to really cherry pick the components
they would like in the ITOS but also allows other people to experiment

greetings

p.s. my presentation can be found here
[1] http://dev.openbossa.org/trac/mamona/wiki/MamonaPresentations

p.s.2 I published some pictures of LinuxTag at
http://picasaweb.google.com/kees.jongenburger/LinuxTag2008Maemo