Hi David,

I wrote a widget for OpenMoko that replaces GtkScrolledWindow, with very
similar API, that allows you to do finger-scrolling instead of
scroll-bar scrolling - The SVN repository is at
http://svn.openmoko.org/trunk/src/target/OM-2007.2/libraries/libmokoui2/
and you can find debian packaging at
https://edge.launchpad.net/~cwiiis/+archive , although I'll warn you
that that's a bit out of date and I think the Intel MID project have
more recent packaging (they have collaborated with me and kept me
informed on this, it's my fault that my own packaging is out-of-date).

There are caveats with using this widget, as the GTK event system wasn't
really designed with this interaction in mind. The widget works by
intercepting mouse events and re-synthesising new events for the
underlying widgets - This usually works fine, but certain things don't
work, such as mouse-over (this is easy to fix, but was unnecessary given
it's aimed at touch-screens) and double-clicking (harder to fix). You
might also have some fun problems if you grab the cursor too.

Hope that helps some - depending on your users, you may find that it's
more efficient to write your own custom-purpose finger-scrolling widget.
If you find that and you want some code to use as an example (and you
don't find any better code than mine (which I'm sure there's a lot
of ;)), I'd recommend you take a look at the finger-scrolling widget
I've written for tidy -
http://svn.o-hand.com/repos/tidy/trunk/tidy/tidy-finger-scroll.c - The
code is much cleaner as clutter has a more advanced events system and I
wrote it after having learnt a lot with MokoFingerScroll.

Regards,

--Chris