C is a good solution.  So is Perl, which comes on OS 2008.  So is
Python.  Perl lets you construct nested lists, which gives you the
equivalent in capability to multi-dimensional arrays.  Python gives
similar constructs.

There is no reason IMHO to be writing shell scripts of any kind on a
system where Perl and Python are available.

Shell programming is just weak for many reasons including lack of data
structure capabilities and should be avoided whenever possible.  I say
this as someone who has accumulated years of shell programming
experience in a professional software shop as well as other languages.

The strongest of the shell programming languages, namely bash and ksh,
have this problem.  Perl and Python are practical for exactly the reason
that they are good replacements for these shell languages.

-Will