On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, Andrew Daviel wrote:

> I.e. how to hildonize some app so it will work from the file manager or
> the browser, or make a wrapper that accepts a DBUS request to open a
> URL/file and does e.g. system("mplayer blah.wmv").

Someone told me about dbus-switchboard which does what I want:
http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFiles/utils/dbus-switchboard-1.2.0.all.deb
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=173560

But now I have a problem which seems a bit like the authentication
problem you mentioned.

If I place a WAV file on a server e.g. http://example.com/foo/bar.wav,
and click a link to it in the browser, and click "open with
media-player", the browser does a GET with Range: 0- and gets a partial
result. This appears to be discarded and gnome-vfs then does a full GET
on the URL and the sound plays.

But if I try to play a message from my voicemail system, gnome-vfs gets
the wrong URL and media player says "media stream not found at given
address"

GET /mycallpilot/open.asp?f_MsgNum=10&f_Format=WAV HTTP/1.1