On Tuesday 05 August 2008 09:58:45 Niels Breet wrote:
> With this mail, I want to ask the community if there is interest in having
> an autobuilder for OS2006.

Good question.  One issue is that I currently, deliberately, build my OS2006
support against the 3.0 SDK so that it will run on any 3.x release.  I
presume you would plan to build against 3.2 -- how many 770 users would then
be unable to install it?  The sort of people who haven't replaced their 770
with an N8x0 and who haven't moved to OS2007HE are probably also the sort of
people who haven't upgraded the tablet from whatever was installed when they
bought it.

> Although the download numbers for OS2006 aren't as high as the recent OS
> versions, we (maemo.org community) haven't stopped supporting the OS. 770
> users might benefit from this.

My current plan is that the GPE release currently in beta test will be the
last for gregale.  I will probably support bora (OS2007HE) for a little
longer so there is at least some route for 770 owners to move to the latest
if they want.

I do not support my other packages (mainly opensync and Xsisusb) on anything
earlier than chinook.

> Are there developers out there who will use the autobuilder for OS2006, if
> it is available?

I probably would, at least for this last GPE OS2006 release (I haven't even
built the beta for gregale yet due to problems in my build environment).

> Do you think it is worth the trouble to set it up?

Not sure.  As I say, I would probably use it twice: once to build the beta and
once to build the release.  I certainly wouldn't support using it the same
way we did for diablo (i.e. **everything** has to be rebuilt) -- it would
need to work like the chinook one so that existing packages can just be used.

> Will
> it make supporting OS2006 easier for developers?

Easier... yes.  But personally I don't plan on supporting OS2006 much longer.

> Please let me know what you think.

How about an OS2007HE autobuilder?  I plan on supporting that, as the last
option for 770 owners, a bit longer.

Graham