John Holmblad wrote:
> Frantisek,
>
> ok, you got me. "bitrotting"?
>
> May I surmise that that is what happens to files, hw & software when you
> throw them in the "bit bucket" aka "the trash-heap of digital history"?

Yes, this happens also to linux kernel and all software running on the
tablet. Having free wi-fi driver means open possibilities to have newer
systems ported to the tablet (like Android for instance) so people are
not permanently stuck with ancient software on the tablet.

Until now it was possible to use wi-fi on the tablet only with 2.6.16,
2.6.18 and 2.6.21 linux kernels (all quite old today) and only in
specifc configurations that do not break closed wi-fi driver module.

Frantisek