Hi,

>Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:28:40 +0000 (UTC)
>From: Hendrik Boom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: programming on the n800 itself
>To: maemo-developers@maemo.org
>
>Are there any ports available for programming languages so that
>development can be done on the n800 itself?  Programming in the wild,
so
>to speak, instead of cross-compiling at the desk?

I do not know any ports for gcc toolchain to Tablets. It there are ones
please provide links where to get one. I woulld be interested to see how

porting has been done to the little restricted environment we have in
Tablet :).

>I have hopes for gcc, or lisp, or something that can handle data
>structures and static typing.  I've noticed there are a bunch of guile
>files as part of my n800 system.  Is there also a standalone guile
>interpreter?

We have Python available in Diablo extras. Just install meta package
To setup Tablet development environment.
See instructions from here:
http://maemo.org/development/documentation/programming_languages/

If you want to improve communication between your host PC and Tablet
You can install maemo PC Connectivity package again from Diablo extras
http://maemo.org/development/documentation/pc_connectivity/

If you want to use Eclipse IDE for Python on-device development we have
the
first version (still somewhat restricted) of Pluthon Eclipse plugin
available.
http://maemo.org/development/documentation/ide_integration/

>I've seen a report that gcc runs out of memory rather quickly on an
>n770.  Does the same apply to n800?  And which memory does it run out
>of?  RAM?  swap?  disk?
>
>It seems rather ridiculous that a machine with 258MB should have
>insufficient storage for programming ... back in the 70's we could do
>some pretty sophisticated stuff on Unix on a 64K PDP-11.  Times sure
>change, don't they?

Somebody already proposed to clone your rootfs to mmc card and use that
as development environment. This will solve memory problems (if you use
big enough mmc card :) also for C/C++ development as you can freely
install all needed tools, debug symbols etc.

Cheers,
//Jarmo