Is there a good way of doing this temporarily, for instance while
playing back video?  Can I do it in python?  Right now I'm telling the
backlight to turn on every 8 seconds or so, but even that doesn't really
work (sometimes the display goes dim and then pops back).

I don't want to temporarily change any configuration files in case my
program crashes before it can unset this option.

Owen