Look like you have Internet connection problem. Same to me before. I
also have Ubuntu 64-bit 8.04. I installed manually.
There're 2 links I used:
http://www.scratchbox.org/documentation/user/scratchbox-1.0/html/installdoc.html
http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/4.1.1/INSTALL.txt

After you download scratchbox packages (using IDM for example),
install it normally as link #1.

Once sb has been set up, logout and login again, and follow the link#2
to install SDK manually. You can download 2 rootstrap big files (Armel
and x86) and move them to /scratchbox/packages. Run
maemo-sdk-nokia-binaries_4.1.1 and then maemo-sdk-install_4.1.1.sh.

After that you should try to apt-get install <3 packages maemo-sdk-*>.
This way will help your Maemo up-to-date.

Once everything done, if you have problem with error "No package
'libossoemailinterface' found" when trying to configure the project,
let's do "apt-get install libosso-email-interface-dev"

Some note if you like to install manually. If I can be of more help,
please feel free to ask. I'll try to help you like others have done to
me :-)

Best regards,