On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Marius Vollmer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So, for the new categories to be officially adopted, we need
> translations to all the supported languages:
>
>    en_GB es_MX nl_NL pt_BR no_NO fi_FI it_IT fr_CA
>    da_DK en_US pt_PT sv_SE fr_FR es_ES ru_RU de_DE
>
> for these categories:
>
>    desktop education graphics navigation network science
>    system utilities
>
> I frankly have no idea how realistic it is to get Nokia involved in this
> for Diablo.  Can we proceed without Nokia?  Translations is something
> that communities are traditionally quite good at.  Also, we might lift
> translations from Gnome or KDE, right?

There's a table on the wiki now:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Package_categories#Translations I'll start
poking people about it (translations poured in pretty quickly when we
put in a call for Advanced Backlight).

I can dump them to a more accessible format as they come in if you'd like.

> (More on Application specific subcategories from my side later.  Don't
> know what to think about them yet... using the Section field for them
> seems like a even worse abuse than the oiginal user/CATGEORY hack...)

Yeah, I guess the advantage of using the section field is entirely for
short term gain, in that it doesn't require the use of debtags or
something similar, but as the UI work to get subcategories to be
useful is non-trivial, it's probably worth doing it cleanly the first
time around.