On Friday 12 December 2008 09:16:30 Felipe Contreras wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 8:44 AM, Kamen Bundev <bun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I meant GLib, sorry, no coffee yet.
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Kamen Bundev <bun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> GIO is part of GTK+, you can't add a GIO package without upgrading the
> >> whole GTK+.
>
> Why not? It's code, you can do whatever you want with it.
>
> Philip Van Hoof did it for maemo:
> http://pvanhoof.be/files/gio-ugly-maemo-port.tar.gz

And, don't forget that if you don't want to actually package it up as a shared
library, you can always just link it (or the parts you need) directly into
your application.  I have done that several times for applications which
assume a later version of libraries than the one available on Maemo: I take
the source code of the extra functions I need and incorporate them into the
code of the application being ported.  Of course, this doesn't work if the
new code needs access to internal interfaces of the library, but I haven't
come across that case yet!  And, of course, you have to check the licence
allows you to do that.

Graham