On Jan 17, 2009, at 8:13 PM, Mike Turquette wrote:

> I'm a developer at Texas Instruments.  I'm interested in building as
> many pieces of Maemo 5 (especially Hildon) as possible for some of our
> OMAP3 development boards.

Nokia is (or was, they've likely moved on to their own hardware by
now) using Beagle Boards for internal testing, so it's certainly a
feasible thing.

> I'd prefer to use OpenEmbedded for building out of SVN, however a
> quick glance through Nokia's repositories is a bit overwhelming.  Is
> there an easy guide to way out,

Maemo has its own SDK, the version of which for Fremantle is currently
in pre-alpha.[1][2]

> 1) what software in
> https://stage.maemo.org/viewcvs.cgi/projects/haf/trunk/?root=maemo is
> currently maintained and will be used in Maemo 5?

You want http://repository.maemo.org/pool/fremantle/ This table may
also be useful, though:
http://repository.maemo.org/unstable/fremantle/maemo4.1.1_vs_5.0prealpha_content_comparison.html

> 2) is there a document of any kind detailing how to build a root fs
> from these pieces, or is that left as an exercise ot the reader?

The current release of Maemo 5 is an SDK-only release, so it's meant
to be used for development on a PC. A rootfs image that might be
flashed onto a real device will likely be forthcoming once a real
device is available.

For the time being, the pre-alpha doesn't contain all of the
components that will be shipping with the final release. Most notably,
it's still using the Diablo UI (the Fremantle UI will be revealed in
May-ish when the Beta SDK is released).

> 3) is anyone doing anything like I am mentioning (specifically with
> OE)? I know there are some recipes for Maemo 4, but they are quite
> deprecated (though I've gotten a fair number of them to build with
> small modifications).

I don't know of anybody working with OE to build Maemo. Maemo has a
fairly mature and workable SDK, so I can't see anybody being very
inclined to put the work into hamming another build system into
submission.

Probably what you really want to do is talk to the Mer guys, as their
work coincides more closely with your goals, I think, than Nokia's.[3]
[4]

[1]http://maemo.org/development/sdks/maemo5_prealpha_main/
[2]http://maemo.org/news/announcements/first_maemo_5_sdk_release_targeting_platform_developers/
[3]http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer_Blueprint