Marius wrote:

> now that the task for defining the Fremantle
> Application Categories has
> started, we have the first proposal.

> The following category should be added:
>
> user/sharing     Sharing Plugins
> Plugins that add additional upload protocols to
> applications, such as for Flickr photo upload.

I don't like it, for the following reasons (in order of significance):

  1) Plugins for a particular protocol or purpose
     should go under the appropriate category. If
     a user is looking for a photo upload thing,
     they should be trained to look in the
     appropriate category (e.g. user/graphics[1]).
     A Flickr upload *application* should be next
     to a Flickr upload widget, should be next
     to a Flickr upload applet, should be next
     to a Flickr upload *plugin*.

  2) Alternatively, we'd have sub-categories
     allowing additions and enhancements for a
     particular application are found *under* that
     app.

  3) Why "limit" the description and facilitation
     to *upload* protocols? Sharing is a two-way
     process.

  4) This semms primarily an Ovi-marketing move
     where brands are considered more important
     than end-user experience.

Cheers,

Andrew

[1] DHCP struggling at JavaOne (again) so can't check
    what the most appropriate category actually is.

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:and...@bleb.org http://www.bleb.org/
Maemo Community Council chair