Really sorry for the screw up there ...

Hi all,

The general idea of the project is an application that will scan barcode
image and than search stores on web and local stores for prices , reviews
etc ..
As part of the project the first thing was to test out maemo-barcode toolkit
. Sadly I was not able to run it on my SBOX . Although I did do some bug
fixes on it . It still didn't seem to work.

We also evaluated some other toolkits on SBOX and zbar seemed to run fine(
http://zbar.sourceforge.net/)

zbar gives us some of the features that we were looking for  i.e
1. Almost the same speed of decoding for different types of barcode
2.1D(ean and upc) as well as 2d barcode scanning
3.Python bindings .
So I have *recommended to use zbar *. If there is work required in terms of
image quality perhaps it can be developed as a *seperate independent module
using Image Magick or PIL*

The second part of the project .. ie that of *price comparison* is to be
done using server side scripts.
As a beginning to this i have started adding code to get product title for a
particular barcode.
The reason to use product titles is because we would need to search
many *heterogenous
databases *and I think product titles would make the job easier in this
regard . *Not all databases or systems provide the capability to search by
upc or ean no.

*Their are as far as i can see two methods  for price comparison . This part
we have decided should be done in a manner that it is easier for *merchants
to add their feeds/database/other such stuff
  *
For *web stores* we could *create a crawler  using Yahoo Boss API *.
Although I would wonder if it can be optimized  in such a manner that it is
even able to extract price information and reviews etc

On the side of *local stores and feeds* -
We could have our own specification for the feed .. but this might be too
complicated for small local stores ..
The problem with local stores and feeds would be that they would tend to be
very heterogenous thus we require a search system that is flexible ...
For this I think we should do a full text search(perhaps using pyLucene) on
the databases/feeds we recieve but again question is can we optimize this
kind of search to the level that we can get price info and reviews etc

The next apart of course would be to write the client side for price
comparison and UI

P.S  The ideas for price comparison are major thought waves that perhaps
need to be orgainized and understood better. Also please add recommendations
and other such input.
Also although i have experimented a bit with BOSS i have no clue about
pyLucene so please feel free to add warnings about the kind and load of work
involved and *tutorials/links/projects *on the two topics .

Thanks

--
A-M-I-T S|S