As you may know, Mer uses OBS to build packages inside a chroot running
qemu - like scratchbox.

However OBS emulates *everything*.... this makes it very stable but also
a bit slow.

To improve this the OBS guys have a solution that involves installing a
few cross-compiled applications. ie they install i586 apps into the qemu
chroot.
These apps replace the arm binaries (so no paths to /scratchbox/* that
won't build elsewhere).
However there are issues with library paths etc. that need resolving.

They have this solution working for spec/rpm packages but not dsc/deb
packages... which we of course need.
So in the best open source spirit we're going to have a hackday or two
to try and get this to work.

We'll be meeting around 10am CEST (8am UTC, 9am BST) on the 15th in
#opensuse-buildservice and #mer on freenode. If (!) we don't finish it
then we'll be having another crack on the 19th.

The main skills needed are going to be packaging related although if you
know about cross-compiling and are around then (hopefully) we  may have
some questions at some point.

If you are interested and feel you can help then please let me know and
turn up; if you're not sure, ask me.

David
PS  For those who don't understand then start here:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/Build

--
"Don't worry, you'll be fine; I saw it work in a cartoon once..."