How am I supposed to install an initialisation script in Fremantle?

If I do it as normal, the init script gets installed into /etc/init.d and
update-rc.d gets called and the symlinks are setup.

However, the postinst includes a call to invoke-rc.d, which just exits without
running the script and, worse, the init script is not run on the next reboot.

I heard that Fremantle includes upstart but I can't find any documentation on
how to use it!  Can someone point me to it?  The documentation on
upstart.ubuntu.com seems not to apply to the Maemo installation because there
is no /etc/init directory.

Graham