On Sat, 19 Sep 2009, Laurent GUERBY wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-09-18 at 22:55 +0200, Kees Jongenburger wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I plan to create a proposal for the push n900[1] and I plan to use the
>> usb port. I have the following question.
>> When the device is in usb-host mode it should of course provide power does
>> it?
>> Is it possible to charge the device while it's in usb-host mode?
>
> The other way around: is it technically possible to have the n900 (and
> n810) behave as an USB keyboard when connected to a PC? And even better
> emulate any other USB device like a webcam, etc...?

I expect the hardware can do it, but it needs some work in kernel space.
The 2.6.29 kernel can appear as an ethernet, serial, mass storage, midi
audio or printer device. Anything else, needs a driver written.
Gadget drivers can also be in user space, using gadgetfs, but I don't
know of any examples.

> When you see the price of a generic USB client PC extension card that
> would be a great niche use of the n900/n810 :).
>
> And given the high res camera, one could imagine using a N900 as
> an IP KVM, USB as keyboard and camera facing an LCD to see what's
> going on :).

BTW, since webcams don't have a USB standard, and need a driver anyway,
you can implement such driver over existing transports such as serial or
ethernet.

--
Matan Ziv-Av.                         ma...@svgalib.org