El mié, 30-09-2009 a las 14:10 +0300, Marius Vollmer escribió:
> ext Alberto Garcia <agar...@igalia.com> writes:

> >> Yes, but there are some practical problems about that.
> >
> > The first obvious problem is that we would end up having two similar
> > versions of the same library installed, and that means more disk and
> > memory, apart from the inability to use maemo-launcher.
> >
> > What else?
>
> You have to be careful to never link two libraries with overlapping
> symbols into the same process.  In the case of libhildon, that is
> probably manageable, and the possibility can probably be ignored.

This shouldn't be a problem. Other distros with more real world
experience than maemo cope with this pretty well. For instance, Debian
unstable has nowadays two parallel installable versions of libsoup.
Objects link against either of them depending on their needs. There
should never be the case when someone is linking against the two. Not
even if dinamically loadable modules are in place.

In our case, Nokia applications and libraries link against what's now
shipped by Nokia. That's not going to change. If there is a parallel
installable version of hildon, those interested on using it link against
it and so should all the modules that they want to load in runtime or
whatever.

And as far as I know, maemo-launcher only boosts the GTK+ library, but I
might be wrong.

Claudio