On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 11:39 PM, Attila Csipa <ma...@csipa.in.rs> wrote:

> ... are there actual examples for what we should do ? Sure, save as much power
> as we can, don't do things you don't have to, etc, etc. It's easy to say, but
> where are the 'good practice' examples (e.g. CODE) that demonstrate the
> suggested guidelines ? I'm starting to swim in boilerplate code trying account

It's more about what you don't do than what you do, so code examples
are not the best way ;-).

- Minimize network & disk access
- Time "periodic" network access with "ip heartbeat" (iphb_*). You can
check how modest does it for details.
- Do not wake up unnecessarily (e.g. periodic g_timeout_add stuff).

> for all the ways power-saving might be an issue. For example do I really need
> to watch focus and window state events like a hawk to see when I have been
> minimized and thus in a position to cut some slack for the CPU ?

That stuff isn't too bad because your process will be in running state
on those occasions anyway. The badness comes from waking up, raher
than not doing something when having woken up.

--
Ville M. Vainio
http://tinyurl.com/vainio