On Thursday 29 October 2009 07:07:14 Ed Bartosh wrote:
> Then let's find the way to do it better.

I believe that was the stance on the problem since day 1 :)

> What I'm afraid of is that developers wouldn't like the approach to
> change packages implicitly.

Herein lies the root of the problem. We are beyond the phase of 'like'. We are
closer to damage control, in terms of a lesser evil and an imperative to make
the choice ASAP. The N900 release date approaches and we've seen that friendly
pokes for /opt-ification yield results very slowly. If the non-active
interference route is continued, we won't 'offend' fellow developers but the
ecosystem will suffer as the first users start hitting the 256MB NAND limits
(or
not seeing packages at all as they don't make it to extras). Thus, I have no
doubt, a decision will have to be made and whatever it will be, someone will
be unhappy as a result of it. The question is which solution will hurt least
on the *platform* level.

>It potentially can create repository mess again. And I really don't want this
>to happen.

Nobody does. However, we're running out of time to find a better solution. And
if there is a potential for repository mess it has to happen before release.
Once end-users get to the devices, it's mostly game over, whatever solution
will be in place by that time is most likely the one we will be stuck with for
quite a while.