I'm not one to give up easily. :)
-Kyle

/* BEWARE: terrible kluge */
void set_panarea_padding(GtkWidget *child, gpointer data)
{
    void set_child_padding(GtkWidget *child, gpointer user_data)
    {
        GtkBox *box = GTK_BOX(user_data);
        gboolean expand, fill;
        guint pad;
        GtkPackType pack;

        gtk_box_query_child_packing(box, child, &expand, &fill, &pad, &pack);
        gtk_box_set_child_packing(box, child, expand, fill, 0, pack);
    }

    if (GTK_IS_CONTAINER(child))
        gtk_container_forall(GTK_CONTAINER(child), set_child_padding, child);
}

gtk_container_forall(GTK_CONTAINER(selector), set_panarea_padding, NULL);