On Feb 7, 2010, at 1:14 AM, ma...@bitblit.net wrote:

> Ive built a command-line app. I can bring up the Maemo UI and run the tool
> from Terminal just fine (from inside its source folder), however related
> utilities that come with the tool dont work - Im assuming I need to do a
> make install to fully test it.
>
> I could install it but then Im 'polluting' my dev environment with
> something that may not work and may be hard to remove all traces of
> correctly. What's a good strategy to test then? Should I make a package
> and use the package manager to install, test and uninstall? How do
> developers test apps like this?

The packaging system is designed for this process. It has the added benefit of
allowing you to provide a way for others to install your software. :)

Using a chroot is also an easy way to do testing of your app with its
environment, this can sometimes be easier than a virtual machine, but virtual
machines work well too.

Jeremiah