This is a good idea for optional in-depth software documentation, like in
your case, or power-user "tips and tricks", like the configuration database
that is being collectively built for Dexter text-tv reader on
http://wiki.maemo.org/Dexter .

However, basic help should stay on the device IMHO. As others pointed out,
we cannot assume the user device is always online.

Furthermore, managing localization would be more complicated. One big Wiki
page for all languages would be confusing, and several Wiki pages for
different languages can potentially lead to mis-aligned information,
particularly if users contribute to the Wiki.