Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 17:26:08 +0200
From: Matti Airas <matti.p.ai...@nokia.com>
Subject: Re: Ask for removal of some packages from Extras Fremantle
        repository
To: maemo-developers@maemo.org

On 22.03.2010 11:12, ext Beno?t HERVIER wrote:

> Please, can you remove all version of the following packages from the
> extras fremantle, extras-testing fremantle, and extras-devel fremantle
> repository :
>
 > [...]
> - pypackager
> - py2deb
 > [...]

Hi Benoit et al,

Having been preoccupied with other stuff the last few weeks, I only today came
to notice the devastating incident about your packages and participation.
Benoit, I respect your decisions no matter what the reasons are but am really
sorry to see you go (if that's the final decision).

However, as a member of the PyMaemo project I'm really worried about the fate
of the pypackager and py2deb packages which allow for creating deb packages of
Python programs without resorting to the use of Scratchbox.
The functionality provided by these packages is quite essential to the
developer story of the PyMaemo project since we don't want to force prospective
PyMaemo developers to install Scratchbox and the full SDK just to have packages
created.

Also, from the PyMaemo project point of view, it's important to have any
relevant packages within the maemo.org infrastructure (although you obviously
are free not to do that yourself, this is a volunteer effort).
Hence, I'd be very interested in hearing your opinions regarding these packages.

Would you think it's OK if we maintained the packages on the extras.* repos? If
you are still interested in developing the packages further (at least
pypackager, I understood you consider py2deb as deprecated in any case), you
could act as upstream to the PyMaemo-maintained packages (and still maintain
your own repo if you wish).

On the other hand, if you don't feel like working on them any longer, I hope
it's all right for you if we just catch the ball and adopt the packages to
PyMaemo proper. If that would be the case, would you rather see us do a clean
fork (renaming the packages and all) or would it be OK if we just took the
ownership of the current projects and carried on from there?

In any case, I sincerely appreciate the contributions you've done to maemo.org
and PyMaemo.

Cheers,

ma.