Jeremiah Foster wrote:
> I apologize - I don't mean to upset anyone. But my experience has
> made me somewhat cautious. The community relationship is based on
> trust. So far the MeeGo decision making process has happened
> behind closed doors. This makes it very hard for me to trust that
> my interests and the interests of the community are at the
> forefront. Until Intel and Nokia can assure me that the community
> has a voice in the MeeGo process, I'll continue to be skeptical.

It often feels like I'm coming at things from a very different perspective
than a lot of the people here, but I have to agree with Jeremiah.  I have
found the early MeeGo community extremely frustrating and have left until
things settle down a bit.

With that, I would like to note that there is a profound difference between
an operating system and a community.  We do have to wait for a while to see
what the first release of the MeeGo operating system looks like, and I look
forward to seeing if I can tweak my N900 to boot between Maemo, Mer, Fedora,
MeeGo and maybe some Android environment.  However, the MeeGo community, and
perhaps most importantly the interaction between Intel and Nokia and the
MeeGo community has been going on long enough for people to form
impressions.  These are further based on impressions of how Intel and Nokia
have interacted with other communities, such as the Moblin and Maemo
communities.

I will note that some Moblin developers were really looking forward to MeeGo
because they were hoping that Nokia would push Intel to being much more open
than it has been in the past.

My two cents.

Aldon