Hello.

To unlock the device :
http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Jebba/DBUS#dbus-send-unlock

To keep the display on and device unlocked :
http://maemo.org/api_refs/4.0/libosso/group__Devstate.html#g93fe32aeb992e128c94b890d6f801bfd

David.

Per von Zweigbergk wrote:
I'm writing a "talking clock" application. The purpose of this application is to answer
the ever-so-frequent question "mghhnm, what time is it" in the morning, just before
you've been able to open your eyes properly much less put on your glasses.

I've already written the application itself, it was a fairly simple project that took a
couple of hours. In testing, however, I discovered a slight drawback to my planned
approach of "start the program before falling asleep, mash the screen in the morning
and it'll tell me the time".

1. The screen itself will stop accepting taps when the device is turned off. It seems
this particular feature can be inhibited by leaving the phone slided open (with the
qwerty keyboard exposed) or by setting the gconf setting
/system/osso/dsm/locks/touchscreen_keypad_autolock_enabled to false. This requires you to
slide the lock button on the side of the phone to unlock the screen. Annoying, but still
doable even in a half-awake stupor. And besides, you can always leave the phone activated
in its "opened" mode.

2. The device will automatically lock itself after 5 minutes, for security
purposes. Now, remembering and correctly entering the device lock code in a
half-awake stupor is considerably more difficult. This can be disabled by
setting the gconf setting /system/osso/dsm/locks/devicelock_autolock_enabled.

However - I don't really like this approach of changing gconf user settings to
inhibit device locks. The last thing I want is for the phone or my application
to crash (or more likely, to run out of battery) while the program is running
and leaving the device unlocked, requiring the user to set the automatic lock
option on again (if he even notices it's been disabled).

Whoever coded the built-in media player agrees with this. He's found some way
to tell the system not to automatically lock itself without changing the gconf
settings. I have not yet figured out how.

One other option worth considering is the fact that some applications, such as
the phone (for an incoming call) and the alarm application (to silence the
infernal bleeping of an alarm) will allow you to throw up a screen to the user
that'll be accessible even if the lock code has not been entered. This would
also solve the potential security issue of somebody stealing your phone while
you're sleeping to get to it while it's unlocked. :-)

So, does anybody have any ideas as to how I might acheive this in some way?