On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 16:24 +0200, ext Luca Donaggio wrote:
> I know that compositing is disabled in fullscreen, as some composited
> widget (for example the fullscreen button in hildon-extras) are shown
> with a black background instead of a semi-transparent one.
> But I noticed one thing: if a hildon-banner appears in fullscreen when
> one of such widgets is on the screen, the window manager turns
> compositing on (the translucid background of the other widget is
> shown), just to turn it off when the banner disappears.
>
> Is there a way to trick the window manager to act the same for
> arbitrary widgets as for hildon-banners?

Try explicitly preventing switching the compositing off by setting this
window property (with value 0) to your application window:

static void set_compositing (Display *display, Window xwindow)
{
        Atom atom;
        int zero = 0;
        atom = XInternAtom (display, "_HILDON_NON_COMPOSITED_WINDOW", False);
        XChangeProperty (display,
                       xwindow,
                       atom,
                       XA_INTEGER, 32, PropModeReplace,