On Sunday 19 September 2010, Andrew Flegg wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 17:58, Robin Burchell <virot...@viroteck.net>
wrote:
> > Anyway: this was pretty much in keeping with my idea: move it into
> > the task switcher (hildon-desktop/other) so that applications which
> > are moved to background are stopped (unless they signal for
> > whatever reason that they need to be kept running, but I'm not even
> > sure that is necessary: if you really need to do background
> > processing constantly, why do it in a GUI application?)
>
> I suggested something similar three years ago (wow, Maemo's old ;-))
> and the reaction was less favourable:

I tried doing something similar on Maemo 4, except my objective was to
SIGSTOP processes for 5-30 seconds at a time during heavy swap load so
that the tablet didn't blink into the blue Nokia logo and lose all
unsaved work.
Oddly what I discovered was that even with an unloaded system, stopping
apps usually hung the entire thing, and upon sending SIGCONT, I was
greeted by the "$APP is not responding blah blah", quickly followed by
the "now responding" message..