I haven't tried with a list item but with buttons you can reposition the
image using just style sheets. Be aware that you (can) have two images: the
background-image and the image. I used the background-image as an extra icon
so I could have an image on the left and one on the right.

Some examples from mycontacts style sheet:

PhoneButton[context="Home"] {
    image:
url(/opt/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/hildon/general_presence_home.png);
    image-position: center right;
}

SMSButton {
    width: 60px;
    max-width: 60px;

    background-image:
url(/opt/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/hildon/general_sms.png);
    background-position: center center;
}

I am sure you found this already but:
http://doc.trolltech.com/4.6/stylesheet-examples.html#customizing-qlistview