Thanks to both of you - your tips helped me to resolve the problem.
I indeed had an issue in the debian/control file (line breaks, string
delimiters, quite similar to the bug of Patrick)

So whoever has such an issue in the future, just login to your scratchbox and
enter the commands manually as seen in the logfile.
(Starting with the comamnds visible after the "Copying source files to work
dir" / "Extracting sources to work dir" log entries)

Happy hacking
-Tom